Teen Who Committed Suicide In Front of Family Still Being Cyber Bullied

A Texas teenager who had committed suicide in front of her entire family after being cyber bullied for months is still being harassed online, even after her death, according to reports.


18-year-old Brandy Vela had shot herself in front of her parents, grandparents and siblings after being harassed online by cyber bullies who tormented her about everything from her weight to her relationships with boys. Brandy’s sister, Jackie, had told several media outlets that her sister was being harassed for months and no one had done anything to stop it, no matter how many times she had spoken out.

“People would make up fake Facebook accounts and they would message her and she wouldn’t respond and they would still come at her. They would say really, really mean things like, ‘Why are you still here?’ They would call her fat and ugly. She was beautiful, absolutely beautiful; the only thing people could find to pick on her was her weight.”


Her family and loved ones had begged her to think twice before taking her life, but instead, she had made her mind up. Brandy’s father, Raul Vela, told reporters,


“We tried to persuade her to put the gun down but she was determined. She said she’d come too far to turn back. It was very unfortunate that I had to see that. It’s hard when your daughter tells you to turn around. You feel helpless.”

Since her suicide, her family has spoken out to authorities reporting that photos of their late daughter are still surfacing online. Despite her passing, fake social media profiles have surfaced with photos showing the teen holding guns, and others making the 18-year-old look like a pig.



Brandy’s father reported the accounts to Facebook and the police and they have since been taken down. Authorities are now investigating Brandy’s death as a cyber-bullying crime, however, are having difficulties tracking down her bullies and those who created the horrible accounts originally.

Authorities revealed that Brandy Vela had filed harassment suits against those who were bullying her right before Thanksgiving, and before her suicide. However, according to sources, it was “impossible” to trace the numbers of those coming after her due to an app that was being used. Brandy was receiving texts from “anonymous numbers,” tormenting her, but the texts and posts were “untraceable.” Authorities had suggested she change her number.

Yet, even after her death, things have not cooled down. In fact, more faulty profiles have been surfacing.

Brandy’s father told reporters,

‘I know what she was going through now. It’s not that easy just to shut it off and let it go. I thought all this was behind us but it’s not over. I want justice and I will for years. We’ll never, we’ll never stop.’